Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: magnitude of a quantity

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:22:08 +0100
Dear Ed,    (01)

This is good progress.    (02)

You say:
>But what is important is that there are 4 distinct concepts:
>  - particular quantity = a physical instance to be quantified
>  - kind of quantity = a category of comparable particular quantities
>  - magnitude of quantity = an abstract quantification of particular quantities
>  - quantity value = the expression of a magnitude as a number and a
measurement unit (where the number is the ratio of the magnitude to the unit)    (03)

Probably we need to look at two "kinds of quantity":
- categories such as that which includes Ed Barkmeyer's height, width of the
Thames at London Bridge, the diameter of the earth's orbit;
- categories such as that which includes ultimate tensile strength, yield
strength in tension, yield strength in compression (all are stresses).    (04)

Best regards,
David    (05)

p.s. That makes 5 - "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition".    (06)

At 13:30 14/07/2009 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>One instance of abstract 'magnitude of quantity' is the abstraction of
>many instances of quantity.  E.g., '10 metres' applies to many
>particular instances of distance, including the distance from my door to
>the stairs, and the height of the top diving platform at the local
>aquatic club.
>
>One instance of abstract 'magnitude of quantity' can be expressed as
>many different instances of quantity value, each of which is
>distinguished by the 'measurement unit' it uses.  E.g., the magnitude
>that is expressed as '10 metres' can also be expressed as '1000
>centimetres', or as '32.8... feet' in English measure.
>
>> In David's example the quantity is a length and the magnitude is 2.54 cm
>> ie expressed as a number and reference (unit).
>
>This is a bit garbled.  From what Geoff says above:
>"2.54 cm" expresses a 'magnitude of a quantity'.  David did not in fact
>identify any particular instance of 'quantity'.  Every (particular)
>quantity that has that 'magnitude' must be an instance of 'length',
>which is a 'kind of quantity' (a subclass of 'quantity').  We know this,
>because the system-of-units being used (SI) assigns the 'measurement
>unit' denoted by "cm" to 'length'.
>
>And 'measurement unit' is then a subclass of what the VIM calls
>'magnitude of quantity'.  It is an abstract reference amount that is
>defined by a particular quantity -- a reference phenomenon.
>
>> I can seek clarification of this interpretation from JCGM/WG 2 if this is
>> a contentious issue
>
>Please do.  (And I will consult our NIST expert as well.)
>To be fair, I think the VIM is a bit ambiguous in its use of the term
>'quantity'.  But what is important is that there are 4 distinct concepts:
>  - particular quantity = a physical instance to be quantified
>  - kind of quantity = a category of comparable particular quantities
>  - magnitude of quantity = an abstract quantification of particular
>quantities
>  - quantity value = the expression of a magnitude as a number and a
>measurement unit (where the number is the ratio of the magnitude to the
>unit)
>
>And we can argue about which of those concepts gets the term 'quantity'
>in our ontology.
>
>But we are hardly the first to tread this path, and I strongly suggest
>we begin by looking at the reference ontologies, including the OUM
>ontology to which Hajo Rijgersberg pointed us (his work).
>
>-Ed
>

>--
>Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
>National Institute of Standards & Technology
>Manufacturing Systems Integration Division
>100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263                Tel: +1 301-975-3528
>Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694
>
>"The opinions expressed above do not reflect consensus of NIST,
>  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx