socop-forum

Re: [socop-forum] Follow up to SOCoP workshop at USGS

To: "Spatial Ontology CoP (SOCoP)" <socop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:33:19 -0800
> [GBC]  (ref. conferencing app) we would like to hear about your experience
> and the pros and cons. ...    (01)

[ppy] Ontolog uses VNC to share desktop. We're now using the tightVNC
v2.0.2 as a server. One only need to point a web browser to the server
(to download the javascript vieewer, this need port 5800 to be allow.)
Dedicated clients on Windows, MAC, iPhone, iPad, Unix, and Linux are
available too (and when a dedicated viewer is used, the shared screen
would be available on port 80, which is friendly to most firewalls.)    (02)

We (Ontolog) host voice separately from a voice conferencing bridge
(rather than using VoIP) so people call in on their own dime (caller
pays their own long distance connection, as required.) A main US
number and a few local numbers in Europe are available.  A lot of
participants have been calling into the bridge from their computer
using skype (for cost and convenience reasons.)    (03)

One could setup a skype proxy to conference in multiple skype callers
(thus elimiating the cost of the call for most), although this has not
been practised much (it requires at least one person who is willing to
devote the time, equipment and to pay for the call.)    (04)

We've been doing this for many years now, have a lot of experience
with it, and can say that the technology and process is very stable.    (05)

Regards.  =ppy