oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] NEW: MITRE participation on the pre-proposal

To: "oor-nsf07601" <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:39:47 -0500

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

Ken,    (02)

Yes, the change of title to "senior project participant" would work.     (03)

As long as something like the following is said up-front, you can keep
the bio and the description of potential MITRE activities (though these
are aspects of activities and should not be considered actual
deliverables: there's too much, and so I amend it below):    (04)

"If the proposal is funded, MITRE would be requested on a
non-competitive basis to provide expertise in tools development and
standards interoperability to support services needed by the
repository. The tools will allow researchers to more easily evaluate,
modularize, map/align, and support efficient runtime reasoning over
ontologies and instance data, and support orchestration and
optimization of services.  In the public interest, all MITRE work
(tools, standards, and other products) would be made publicly
available. Northeastern University would be the lead proposer; MITRE
and others would be subawardees through Northeastern University.
MITRE's participation is subject to the approval of our primary
government sponsor, OSD NII (Office of Secretary of Defense, Networks
and Information Integration)."    (05)

I would modify our section in the project description to:    (06)

Leo Obrst will lead a subcontract at MITRE. The MITRE sub-team will
address a number of aspects relevant to an OOR, and assist other
contributors in realizing tools that cover these aspects. These aspects
are the following:    (07)

1. Ontology Evaluation. The development of methods, practices,
services, and artifacts to support
automated and human reviewed evaluation and comparison of ontologies
stored in the
repository. [35, 45, 44]
2. Ontology Architectures, Modularization, and Alignment/Mapping. The
development of requisite
ontology-based architectures, including ontology lifecycle management,
theories and implementations
of ontology modularity, upper and middle ontologies, and research and
software
development of methods for automatically and semi-automatically
aligning and mapping ontologies.
The use and linking of metadata, controlled vocabularies, and
ontologies, for intelligent
search and decision support. [14, 42, 47, 63, 65, 64]
3. Ontology, Instance, and Rule Reasoning. The development and
implementation of efficient logic
programming-based reasoning methods that amalgamate Semantic Web-based
ontologies and
rules with extended Prolog and Answer Set Programming, to be used for
reasoning over the
ontologies, instances, and rules of the repository. [56, 55, 67]
4. Service Orchestration and Optimization to Support OOR Artifacts.
Design and implementation
of service-oriented architectures and services, including automated and
semi-automated service
orchestration and parallel optimization to support the repository. [40,
52, 68]
5. Outreach to communities in bioinformatics, national command and
control, and intelligence.
[37, 36, 34, 48, 46, 50, 63, 66, 67, 68]    (08)

I hope this helps. Comments/suggestions welcomed!    (09)

Thanks,
Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and
Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (010)