oor-nsf07601

[oor-nsf07601] NEW: MITRE participation on the pre-proposal

To: "oor-nsf07601" <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bebargmeyer@xxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:26:59 -0500

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

Folks,    (02)

The word I get is the following:    (03)

"We are not allowed to compete for work, and we are not to help any
organization be more competitive.    (04)

All the work that we do for an organization outside the DoD must be
approved by our primary DoD sponsor ...    (05)

If there is a proposal that is attempting to compete for grant
funding, you should not be indicated as a co-PI, and the proposal
should not include any information from or about us that is not in
the public domain; i.e., any organization could have submitted it --
there's no special advantage to this one.    (06)

An organization could state an intent to work with us or have support
from us if awarded a grant, but it must be subject to our agreement
and approval of our primary DoD FFRDC sponsor.    (07)

Does this help?    (08)

The restrictions on us have to do with our privileged role in support
of the government."    (09)

So, it looks like all I may be able  to contribute is:    (010)

"An organization could state an intent to work with us or have support    (011)

from us if awarded a grant, but it must be subject to our agreement
and approval of our primary DoD FFRDC sponsor."    (012)

The wording also needs to make clear that the reason MITRE is
participating is that it is in the public interest because ... [to be
continued].    (013)

However, please wait for a few bits and I'll provide you some verbiage:
which, by the way, always sounds like rotting words, to me, like the
evolution of Galactese after several million years of Galactic Empire.    (014)

Thanks and apologies,
Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and
Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (015)