oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] New version of the summary

To: "'oor-nsf07601'" <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bargmeyer" <bebargmeyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:13:02 -0800

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

Ken,    (02)

The summary looks good. I have a couple comments.    (03)

1. Is it written in one of the fonts approved by NSF? It looks like a serif
font to me and I think the fonts approved by NSF are sans-serif fonts. I
believe that Sylvia Spengler, one of the Program Officers for this
solicitation, does not like serif fonts such as Times New Roman.  The NSF
Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide - (NSF 07-140) lists the
following fonts:
a. Use of only the approved typefaces identified below, a black font color,
and a font size of 10 points or larger must be used:
. For Windows users: Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype, or Georgia
. For Macintosh users: Arial, Helvetica, Palatino, or Georgia
. For TeX users: Computer Modern    (04)

There may be an update to that somewhere, but I have not seen it.    (05)

2. Broader impact:    (06)

I understand that it is usually important to emphasize the educational
opportunities in this section. That is, to state that the project will
provide exceptional opportunities for graduate student research and
education in advancing information and computer science techniques and
technologies. Also state here, that an aggressive effort will be undertaken
to recruit students from underrepresented groups, including minorities and
females.    (07)

The guidance in NSF Solicitation (NSF 07-601) reads: (3) describe the
broader impacts of the proposed work, including any exceptional
opportunities for progress in research and education that may arise from the
planned structure, composition, and/or organization of the proposed Partner,
the educational and training activities, and plans for achieving a diverse
organization serving a wide variety of users and communities.    (08)

3. Sustainability    (09)

The summary emphasizes the sustainable technology approach. I think NSF is
more interested in sustaining the DataNet itself. I think that our approach
is to develop an OOR that can be adopted by diverse and dispersed
organizations. In the long term, each organization would implement the OOR
to support its own mission.     (010)

4. Format    (011)

I know that many proposals, sent to NSF, break the one page summary into two
sections with the headings:    (012)

. Intellectual merit
. Broader impacts    (013)

These two topics must be addressed in separate statements. The directions in
the proposal preparation guidelines (NSF 07-140) read:     (014)

The proposal must contain a summary of the proposed activity suitable for
publication, not more than one page in length. It should not be an abstract
of the proposal, but rather a self-contained description of the activity
that would result if the proposal were funded. The summary should be written
in the third person and include a statement of objectives and methods to be
employed. It must clearly address in separate statements (within the
one-page summary):
. the intellectual merit of the proposed activity; and
. the broader impacts resulting from the proposed activity.
... Proposals that do not separately address both merit review criteria
within the one-page Project Summary will be returned without review.    (015)

I know that it is hard to get everything into the one-page summary.     (016)

I note that there is a new guidance document from NSF. A revised version of
the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG), NSF 09-1, was
issued on October 1, 2008 and is effective for proposals submitted on or
after January 5, 2009. It should not apply to this preliminary proposal, but
is good to know about.    (017)

I hope this helps.    (018)

Bruce    (019)

----Sent by--------------------------
Bruce Bargmeyer
University of California, Berkeley
and
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road, MS 50B-2231A
Berkeley, California 94720
Tel: +1 510-495-2905
Fax: +1 510-486-4004
email: bebargmeyer@xxxxxxx    (020)

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not
share or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (022)

Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/oor-nsf07601/
Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/community/project/OOR/nsf07601/
Wiki:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_Proposal/Nsf_07601    (023)