Re: [oor-forum] OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2011.10.04

To: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "terry.longstreth" <terry.longstreth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:26:19 -0400
You are preaching to the choir. But the issue isn't whether to use or adopt Common Logic.  I think there is a consensus that it's an essential element of the solution. The argument's about whether CL is or could be extended to support interconnecting an (apparently unlimited) collection of ontological models.   I hope John Sowa's right, that the CL specification could be extended to meet the requirement, but I don't understand enough about actual applications to see how.   I'm afraid that much of the argument against extending CL is based on NIH, but without a better grounding in the elements of the debate, I don't feel qualified to make such a charge.

Much of today's OOR Metadata discussion touched on similar issues.  The difference is, I think, that OOR intends that each repository instance will provide a closed world environment with complete control over the unified ontology content, mediated by more or less statically defined unifying functions (represented by the use/hasImports connections).   Interoperability, the goal of the ISO 17347 effort, is much more ambitious, I think. And of course, our experience with the NCOIC SCOPE model, and its focus on open world issues, should provide valuable insights.

Terry

Todd J Schneider wrote:
Terry,

Thank you for the elucidation.

If you have any influence, try to push for the use/adoption of Common Logic.
People need to grow up someday. Delaying things only entrenches bad practices.

Todd