Re: [oor-forum] a working OOR instance and a development platform

To: "OpenOntologyRepository-discussion" <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Yuriy Milov" <qdone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:06:04 -0500
Great!    (01)

BTW we could start from this point in the practical realization of the OOR
(I mean a digital.signature as an integrity mechanism for OOR) if no other
ideas how to start making the code.    (02)

Meantime I have checked a plug-in project for Eclipse - it works (I can add
the button and forms to Eclipse). Also I have run NeOn Toolkit
http://semanticweb.org/wiki/NeOn_Toolkit - it also works, and we may go
ahead from there.    (03)

So, we may add the OOR signature and deployment mechanizm to the NeOn ( for
example, a button "Save a signed ontology at the OOR server"). It could be a
special OOR button at the Eclipse toolbar and a simple form to submit the
ontology at the server in addition to the NeOn Toolkit - ontology editor -
or whatever else from the Eclipse based ontlogy editors.    (04)

Regarding the meaning of the digital signature for the semantic web there
are some discussions at the web, for example
http://blogspace.com/rdf/SwartzHendler    (05)

=======
The Semantic Web: A Network of Content for the Digital City
(Swartz,Hendler)
...    (06)

7 Trust
Now you've probably been thinking that this whole plan is great, but rather
useless if anyone can say anything. Who would trust anything from this
system if anyone can say whatever they want? So you don't let me into your
site? Ok, I just say I'm the King of the World and I have permission. Who's
to stop me?    (07)

That's where Digital Signatures [6] come in. Based on work in mathematics
and cryptography, digital signatures provide proof that a certain person
wrote (or agrees with) a document or statement. Aha! So I digitally sign all
of my RDF statements. That way, you can be sure that I wrote them (or at
least vouch for their authenticity). Now, you simply tell your program whose
signatures to trust and whose not to. Each can set their own levels or trust
(or paranoia) the computer can decide how much of what it reads to believe.    (08)

Now it's highly unlikely that you'll trust enough people to make use of most
of the things on the Web. That's where the "Web of Trust" comes in. You tell
your computer that you trust your best friend, Robert. Robert happens to be
a rather popular guy on the Net, and trusts quite a number of people. And of
course, all the people he trusts, trust another set of people. Each of these
measures of trust is to a certain degree (Robert can trust Wendy a whole
lot, but Sally only a little).    (09)

In addition to trust, levels of distrust can be factored in. If your
computer discovers a document which no one explicitly trusts, but no one has
said it has totally false either, it will probably trust that information a
little more than one which many people have said is false.    (010)

The computer takes all these factors into account when deciding how
trustworthy a piece of information is. It can combine all this information
into a simple display (thumbs-up / thumbs-down) or a more complex
explanation (a description of all the various trust factors involved).    (011)

...    (012)

More technical stuff is here http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/Trust    (014)

Again, it looks like that OOR has a unique position to start - to be a
trusted resource - as it is open and a natural way to go.    (015)

Yuri    (016)

PS Mike, I think that ignoring a digital signature means that people at the
web do not trust any authority and-or trust just "empty" words. We must
change such state of minds :)    (017)