Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ian Glendinning <ian.glendinning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:25:49 +0000
Ed and Hans, exchanged:
[Ed] .... a viable exchange
form; and a clumsy form, born of obsession with triples and upper
ontologies, will interfere with wide adoption.
[HT] Wait and see.    (01)

I think John (Sowa) said it earlier - the obsession is with using the
same forms at all levels.    (02)

I think we can use the strict triples and UO where there is bang for
the buck, and still use less rigorous semantic forms for detailed
content within the "payload" - think dumb "documents" with well
modelled business meta-data and few key links modelled the same way.
We can drive the approach into more detailed levels over time, and in
the meantime show success at levels where most visible to our business
paymasters.    (03)

(Just-in-Time Mapping I call this. Thanks for the earlier "Patterns"
name-check Hans.)    (04)

Ian    (05)