Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology driven Data Integration using owl:equival

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 21:11:36 -0500
On 09/02/2014 2:28 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
On 2/8/14 10:03 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:

<quote>
Yes, but those situations will be beneficial when the focal point is dealing with issues that human beings don't handle well. Typical characteristics of such issues include:

1. physically challenging
2. emotionally challenging
3. repetition laden.
</quote>

I think that this characterization of computer capabilities is too "last century".

I disagree.

It does not take into account systems like Google, Watson or the BI capabilities available today.

Hmm..

Google enables me find documents faster, that's it.

Google finds the documents. I ranks them in order of relevance based on your query and your past interests as evidenced by your web browsing.
This was once the job of librarians and research assistants. It was considered a skilled occupation.

Watson will help subject-matter experts find relevant insights faster. A surgeon might perform a more informed surgical operation based on output from Watson. Surgeons may even conclude that a surgery could be completed handled by a machine, but none of that would lead to the elimination of humans beings in the domain of surgery.

So the computers will decide what surgery is to be performed and the surgeon will do the manual labour.  :-)
Will the continued involvement of humans in the process be because we are required or because we can not give it up.

Computers are productivity tools. They will not replace human beings. Augmentation is their destiny.

Agreed. We are not considering replacing the human race just trying to understand how computers are going to develop.

To this I would add the cases where
4. the relationship between concepts can best be discerned by seeking patterns in large amounts of data (BIG data)

Sure, but I put that under the category "physically challenging".

That is a bit of a stretch of the meaning of "physical challenging".
Being able to remember millions of facts and look for patterns is not something that a human could do even given an unlimited number of hours or weeks or superhuman endurance.

5. the relationships are complex and the human strength of intelligently reducing the scope of problems to discern simple relationships makes finding subtle relationships difficult and leads to erroneous conclusions (multivariate analysis - http://freakonomics.com/)

Sure, but I put that under the following categories:

1. physically challenging
2  emotionally challenging .

It is neither of these.
It is just too complicated for humans to do.
We can not remember enough facts in a sufficient level of detail to do the analysis required to get the right answer.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc