Re: [ontology-summit] [Reusable Content] Characterizing or measuring reu

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:27:04 -0500
Megan,

> how can we
make the content itself (i.e., semantic web ontologies) more reusable?
  - What kinds of best practices should be adopted (specifically, with
respect to the non-functional attributes of ontology design)?

One thought here is to leverage the work discussed in the 2008 Summit.
 PeterHaase (AIFB, U of Karlsruhe; Project NeOn) spoke on  "The OMV Ontology Metadata Vocabulary"  OMV (Ontology Metadata Vocabulary) was originally developed within the Knowledge Web project and at least maintained (by the OMV consortium) for a few years - not sure of the status now. Some uses and tool support for OMV was developed in the NeOn project.
See
and

Perhaps others are more familiar with the status of things. Most of the references are 5-6 years old, but there is a book, The NeOn Ontology Models that discusses it and one of rthe co-authors (Aldo Gamgemi) is speaking as part of the Bottleneck Track

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Megan,

> how can we
make the content itself (i.e., semantic web ontologies) more reusable?
  - What kinds of best practices should be adopted (specifically, with
respect to the non-functional attributes of ontology design)?

One thought here is to leverage the work discussed in the 2008 Summit.
 PeterHaase (AIFB, U of Karlsruhe; Project NeOn) spoke on  "The OMV Ontology Metadata Vocabulary"  OMV (Ontology Metadata Vocabulary) was originally developed within the Knowledge Web project and at least maintained (by the OMV consortium) for a few years - not sure of the status now. Some uses and tool support for OMV was developed in the NeOn project.
See
and

Perhaps others are more familiar with the status of things. Most of the references are 5-6 years old, but there is a book, The NeOn Ontology Models that discusses it and one of rthe co-authors (Aldo Gamgemi) is speaking as part of the Bottleneck Track

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies
Potomac, MD

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Megan Katsumi <katsumi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

While I do not wish to overshadow all of the dialogue that has taken
place since Andrea's initial email, I do have a comment to make that
is more specific to the original question of reusable content on the
Semantic Web.

I think an important focus to incorporate for Track A relating to the
topic of reusable content on the semantic web might be: how can we
make the content itself (i.e., semantic web ontologies) more reusable?
  - What kinds of best practices should be adopted (specifically, with
respect to the non-functional attributes of ontology design)?
  - What sort of metadata is the most useful when identifying a
suitable ontology for reuse?

These questions take a slightly different perspective than many of
those that have been posed so far, which seem more content-oriented to
me.  Despite this, I think they are also key questions that can serve
to better inform the challenges in the scope this track.  Further, I
think that it is quite feasible that we might obtain a satisfactory
consensus/collection of answers to these question during this year's
summit, from the collective experiences of the participants.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Megan