Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:28:53 -0500
On 2/1/14 1:17 PM, David Price wrote:
>> We have a very different perception of the notion of an enterprise.
>
> Actually, not. I have no interest at all in discussing what
> "enterprise" means.
>
> I'm trying to explain that there are kinds of *apps*, which I have
> called "enterprise applications", with characteristics that imply
> specific requirements and rules governing the kind and development of
> ontologies upon which they are based. I've also suggested that what
> apparently works in the linked data world is not suitable for these
> kinds of apps.    (01)

And I am saying to you that if these so-called "enterprise applications"
are to be marginally useful circa. 2014,  there is nothing about Linked
Data patterns (espoused by the Linked Data community and demonstrated by
Linked Data solutions) that's adversely affects said utility.
> Nothing more than that ... remember this discussion started because of
> my requirement for human readable URIs.    (02)

Human readable URIs a broken because they are human language specific.
Identifiers should never be constrained to a specific human language
like English. You solve the problem via labels and language tags.    (03)

As for your SPARQL example, that isn't the kind of example that reflects
what would happen in an enterprise comprised of humans. In all cases,
humans will start with a natural language pattern in their native language.    (04)

Kingsley

> Cheers,    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen