Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:37:44 -0500
On 1/31/14 9:43 AM, David Price wrote:
On 30 Jan 2014, at 14:20, Hans Teijgeler wrote:

Dear David and Matthew,

Using a non-humanreadable string for an ID has its merits, that are probably not the first thing you, both English speaking, would think of. If I refer to RDS45093 a person whose native language is not English can refer to a translation of the skos:prefLabel (in English) in his/her language, if provided by their standardization body or else. If we would start with IDs in English we would be in deep trouble in certain regions of the world.

Next to the ID you can have one skos:prefLabel per ID and as many skos:altLabels as you need.

Hi Hans,

For data, artificial URIs are fine.  For classes and properties in an ontology they are not. Even a non-English speaker will have better luck distinguishing PersonOrOrganization vs Organization rather than RDL94950595 vs RDL9459869 when reviewing an ontology or writing SPARQL. Adding properties as labels useful for presentation in a user interface does nothing wrt the issue I raise.

Cheers,
David
David,

When describing a property, class, or individual, I use the following practice:

1. include an rdfs:label relation -- also look to skos:prefLabel when what's being described has many known labels (very common in our buzzword laden world)
2. include an rdfs:comments relation
3. include a dcterms:description relation -- if rdf:comments doesn't suffice in regards to what's being described in prose
4. where possible include a foaf:depiction relation.

Using Linked Data based structured data representation patterns: 1-4 enable HTTP URIs [1], HTTP URLs [2], and WebIDs [3] that denote whatever I am describing to remain opaque. Thus, if anyone needs to know what I am describing they simply de-refrence the identifiers.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1edQEKp -- HTTP URI
[2] http://bit.ly/1bHGrQu -- HTTP URL
[3] http://bit.ly/1elKLcn -- WebID .