Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Wartik, Steven P \"Steve\"" <swartik@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:49:13 -0500

John,

I read your message this morning and thought you made a really good point. Then I read the rest of my accumulated mail and saw how many people had already responded to other parts of your post. This is the hazard of sleeping.

There are still two things I want to say:

<JM> My objective is not to lampoon. It is to say this: discussion of 'reuse'  might productively distinguish between reusing class hierarchies, separately from reusing property hierarchies, separately from reusing collections of individuals (and separately from reusing axioms).

That’s part of what I wanted to communicate when I asked about definitions of ontology reuse. And it’s even more complex, of course. Using a single IRI that someone else has created is a form of ontology reuse. Reuse need not involve an owl:imports axiom. Given how quickly reasoners bog down as ontology complexity and KB size increase, a semantic web application designer must carefully weigh the tradeoffs between performance and semantics. I know there’s already a considerable body of work on ontology modularization. With no disrespect intended to any researchers, may I say that it strikes me as premature: We don’t have enough experience with large interlinked ontologies and KBs to assess the balance between expressiveness and performance. I have my own opinions but they are hypotheses, not theories. In other words, this is an area in which we can conduct controlled experiments. Let’s hope that’ll happen so we can really have some evidence for what works. (Unlike in software reuse, I might add.)

Second point: Why can’t we get away from XML? I don’t care how many standards use it. It’s not suited to human comprehension. There are better concrete syntaxes for RDF and OWL. If you have problems with ISO 15926, that’s one thing, but please don’t compound the problem by using the most verbose, special character-encumbered representation. The Turtle form is so much better:

:isClassOfApprovedIn-o-hasClassOfApprover
       rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty ;

       owl:propertyChainAxiom ( inverseRoles:isClassOfApprovedIn part2:hasClassOfApprover ) .

Whatever one may think about RDF and OWL, criticizing them for having an XML representation is like criticizing Fortran IV (my first programming language!) for accepting both .LE. and <= as relational operators.

Steve Wartik