Re: [ontology-summit] Contents of ontology-summit Session-08 - Intrinsic

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Maria Copeland <email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:16:11 +0000

Hi

Thanks for attending my presentation on Ontology Regression Testing last Thursday. Here are the answer to the questions asked during the presentation:

Amanda Vizedom's question was regarding effectual and ineffectual additions and removals and how these indicate fault. An effectual addition is an addition of axiom α from Oi to Oi +1 if α is not asserted and not entailed in Oi and it is asserted and entailed in Oi +1. Effectual removals of β from Oi to Oi +1 if β is asserted and entailed in Oi and it is not asserted and not entailed in Oi +1(it is removed from the asserted and from the entailment sets for Oi +1). Ineffectual removals and additions are those additions and removals that only take place on the asserted set and not in the entailment set. In my presentation, I am not stating that ineffectual removals are faults. As you pointed out in the discussion, there could be many practical reasons for axioms to appear only in the entailment set and not in the asserted ontology. What I am highlighting in my presentation is that we find axioms through out the life of the ontology that enter, exit, and re-enter the ontology in different versions unchanged. It is in this entry/exit/re-entry cycles that we find patterns in the type of additions and removals, which help us to further classify the cycles into indicating and suggesting faults in the sequence of changes due to their effectual and ineffectual editing events. In the presentation slides 29, 30, 31 you can see the different patterns of entry/exit/re-entry and their effectual and ineffectual patterns. As an example, we say that the presence of an axiom has an indication of faults in the sequence of change if it is effectually added to the ontology in version 1, then it is ineffectually removed in versions 4, then in version 5 it’s effectually removed, yet it appears again in version 7 unchanged through and effectual addition only to remain until version 10 where it is effectually removed. The fact that this axiom enters the ontology in version 1 and in version 7 unchanged shows that there is a regression in the content of the ontology for this axiom from version 7 to version 1. It also indicates that the first removal was done in two separate stages, an ineffectual removal in version 4, and an effectual removal in version 5, which suggests that the intent is for this axiom to be completely removed from the ontology. Its reappearance in version 7 suggest that the first removal could be a fault (an unintended action) and it was ‘fixed’ in version 7. Or that the addition in version 1 and removal in version 5 was intended but the re-introduction in version 7 is a fault. From the ontology data itself we cannot say which one is the fault, but we can point out to developers and domain experts these axiomatic content ‘regressions’ through out the life of the ontology. The study of axioms life span (how long does an axiom exist in an ontology) helps us identify these content regression sequences and their patterns.

Doug’s question is: “could these changes be a result of different users having different ideas of what the terms (should) mean?” I don’t think these re-entries of axioms are correlated to different ideas of what the term means. A key characteristic of the axioms we studied is that the axioms appear and disappear from the ontology unchanged. If there was a different idea (representation) for a term, then we would see axioms of different forms such as A Is_A B in one version, and A Is_A B and C in another version. In our study we find that A Is_A B appears in version x, it is removed in version y, and re-enters unchanged in version z.

Ali Hashemi commented in about some confusion regarding the graphs in the presentation. There was an error in one of the graphs as Ali commented. I’ve corrected the slide and included a graph key section at the end of the presentation to indicate the meaning of the lines used to show sequences. The updated presentation will be part of the proceedings for this session.

Thanks for your questions. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. The paper that accompanies this presentation has been submitted to WoDOOM 2013.

Regards,

Maria Copeland