Re: [ontology-summit] Reasoners and the life cycle

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Rector <rector@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:36:00 +0000
Matthew

On 22 Jan 2013, at 13:18, Matthew West wrote:

One thing I have learnt is that writing good logic is a skill, like writing good English. This can help a lot in making the inferences be what you expected them to be.

Clearly.  Much of our work in tutorials and other teaching  the developments around "normalization" are aimed at making the logic clear and ensuring that each modification can be made in one, and only one, place. Likewise work on more abstract user-oriented languages.   However, I think good logic practice and effective testing are two different topics - just as good programming practice and software testing are related but different topics.

Regards

Alan

Alan Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics