Re: [ontology-summit] Scope of ontology: Issues:

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:56:04 +0000

Todd,

Nearly every ontology development project I have been involved in since 1995 has been for specific uses and applications. Yes, you may bring in DOLCE, BFO, SUMO, Cyc, etc., and existing mid-level or domain ontologies, but it is always to address a problem, which means an application or multiple applications. We are tightly wedded to application, not just research, and even if it is research, it is focused on an application problem.

Thanks,

Leo

And, yes I've seen RFP's asking for ontologies or their development
for specific uses, but this is still rare.

Todd