Re: [ontology-summit] An Intro to ISO 15926

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'Denno, Peter O.'" <peter.denno@xxxxxxxx>, "'Russell.H.Adams'" <russell.h.adams@xxxxxxxxx>, cragg@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Anatoly Levenchuk" <ailev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:24:08 +0400
As I had promised to you all half a year ago, yesterday we have published
software that realizes our approach of fusing general (not logical)
programming language with ontology.    (01)

.15926 Editor v1.0 is a freeware for ISO 15926 reference data (ontology)
exploration and creation. The Editor is intended to become for ISO 15926 4D
engineering ontology data what Protégé became for OWL data – a primary
freeware tool. This software supports exploratory (i.e. interactive
text-based, not point-and-click type) ontology-related programming. It has
Python REPL console in its user interface. It also provides recognition and
visualization of ontology patterns (short description is here:
http://levenchuk.com/2012/10/01/148/).    (02)

Download link for freeware .15926 Editor v1.0 software and English
documentation: http://techinvestlab.ru/dot15926Editor    (03)

It is a good tool to work with engineering ontology "JORD reference data
library" (about 2.7mln triples,
http://rds.posccaesar.org/downloads/PCA-RDL.owl.zip) in native ISO 15926
representation. Try it.    (04)

Best regards,
Anatoly

CAD/PLM
> companies. There is several owner-operator initiatives for tools and
> reference data development (iringug.org, JORD). And several small
> companies that developing toolchain (e.g. TechInvestLab). We already have
> .15926 Editor. Now we plan to publish our ontology-based mapping
> methodology (conversion of tables with engineering data to ISO 15926 valid
> OWL files) next week. We will have our full mapping pipline tool in the
> middle 2012. iRING have it now. XMpLant is not free like previous two and
> represent a previous generation of ISO 15926 approach but it have multiple
> industry installations. There are several another tools but this is work
against
> big software vendors that not interested in vendor-neutral
interoperability.

> 2. We developed mentioned in my previous letter of this thread "readchain"
> only in November 2011. Nobody understood: why logic-based ontology is
> better for mapping then usual OOP point-to-point adapters? Thread of this
> Ontology Summit about SysML/UML touch the same topic: paradigm shift.
> We find that book of Chris Partridge have answers for most of the
> beguinner's questions. They start to understand why they need to use
> something like add and even ISO 15926 when deal with object-oriented
> databases (CAD/CAM/PLM systems). Now we have 3day courses for people
> who have no time to read 1500+pages of books. After 3 day of training
> engineers can support talk about their need in ISO 15926 and plan their
> possible activity. Now we have methodologies+tools+curriculum. In 2011
> there was no ready to use methodologies and convenient tools and proven
> curriculum :-) Now we starting actively teach people at owner-operator
> companies. Situation will be completely different to the end of 2012.
> Now we have 90 subscribers for Russian Language blog of TechInvestLab
> .15926 software development project -- http://dot15926.livejournal.com.
ISO