Re: [ontology-summit] Legacy Software to Web Services

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:08:38 -0400
Ron,    (01)

DMP
>>> And what the effect is on legacy software and databases i.e. not
>>> losing or recreating data, instead bringing them up to speed for
>>> more precise information sharing and requirements tracking.    (02)

JFS
>> The absence of any such explanation -- or even any mention of such
>> issues -- is the reason why mainstream IT ignores the Semantic Web.    (03)

RW
> It may explain the lack of enthusiasm on the part of some in this forum
> about the inclusion of Ontology in the Watson project.
> I am not sure whether it is based on some deep understanding of Watson
> that makes them believe that the role of ontologies in the Watson
> reasoning process is really non-essential and could be removed without
> impacting the effectiveness of the overall system or is it because
> ontology is not the user-facing technology.
>
> The applications of the technology used in Watson will likely create the
> biggest demand for ontologists who can assist developers to build the
> key ontologies in the particular domain.    (04)

Some people involved in the Watson project, such as Chris Welty,
certainly knew OWL and RDF.  And the project manager, David Ferrucci,
had earned a PhD in AI.    (05)

The project used ontology, but their major database was DB2 -- a good,
old fashioned relational DB.  For complex reasoning, they used Prolog.
See the article (abstract below) about using Prolog to reason with
information expressed in UIMA, which was another project by Ferrucci.    (06)

I believe that using Prolog and avoiding OWL is an important step
forward in integrating semantic systems with mainstream IT.    (07)

John
_____________________________________________________________________    (08)

Source: http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.0680v1    (09)

The Prolog Interface to the Unstructured Information Management Architecture    (010)

Paul Fodor, Adam Lally, David Ferrucci    (011)

In this paper we describe the design and implementation of the Prolog
interface to the Unstructured Information Management Architecture (UIMA)
and some of its applications in natural language processing. The UIMA
Prolog interface translates unstructured data and the UIMA Common
Analysis Structure (CAS) into a Prolog knowledge base, over which, the
developers write rules and use resolution theorem proving to search and
generate new annotations over the unstructured data. These rules can
explore all the previous UIMA annotations (such as, the syntactic
structure, parsing statistics) and external Prolog knowledge bases (such
as, Prolog WordNet and Extended WordNet) to implement a variety of tasks
for the natural language analysis. We also describe applications of this
logic programming interface in question analysis (such as, focus
detection, answer-type and other constraints detection), shallow parsing
(such as, relations in the syntactic structure), and answer selection.    (012)