Re: [ontology-summit] Legacy Software to Web Services

To: "MacPherson, Deborah" <dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:43:56 -0400
Deborah,    (01)

That is a very important question:    (02)

> I am seeking a brief explanation for how ontologies can help bridge the
> gap from legacy software to web services. For example - the role of
> ontologies versus APIs, middleware, and relational databases - a process
> model or short narrative of all the parts that would need to work together.    (03)

There's a simple reason why nobody answers it:  92% of all ontologists
are academics.  They are totally clueless about any kind of practical
application.  For example, they think that there is a use case for
decidability.  But they ignore the multi-trillions of dollars of
legacy software because it's written in languages they don't like,
such as COBOL and SQL.    (04)

> However to pitch this better, a concise explanation is needed for
> exactly where an ontology should live in relation to projects at
> firms behind firewalls versus accessible across an enterprise/industry.
> And what the effect is on legacy software and databases i.e. not
> losing or recreating data, instead bringing them up to speed for
> more precise information sharing and requirements tracking.    (05)

The absence of any such explanation -- or even any mention of such
issues -- is the reason why mainstream IT ignores the Semantic Web.    (06)

I can be as academic as they come, but I worked at IBM for 30 years,
where I had to do something with some semblance of usefulness for
IBM's bottom line.  And from time to time, I actually talked with
living, breathing customers.    (07)