Re: [ontology-summit] Comments on the Communique

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mills Davis <mdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, steve.r.ray@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:03:05 -0400
Brand,

I was surprised to see the AF OneSource stuff in there, and nothing in there about the AF efforts that actually  involve ontologies. I wondered whether there was some confusion here. It's true that OneSource has been used (mostly by Joint COIs, not AF COIs) in conjunction with DoD MDE-registered metadata vocabularies.  But those are not, as a rule, ontologies, and DoD MDE is not especially useful for those with a semantic orientation.  To be clear, OneSource is evolving, but has its origins in support for Joint vocabularies and schemas. The COI ontology work at USAF is focused currently on Semantic SOA, and is happening under the SDDP process, under the umbrella of the DCMO office, the ESWG and the COI Coordination Panel, as described in the presentations by Lt Col O'Day and Alan Belasco, and related to the directives and challenges described by Dennis Wisnosky.

It's interesting, to me, to see which presentations you focused on.  Coming from the perspective of having spend a few years working the USAF efforts, and consulting at various times with folks working NextGen, Army, other DOD and IC projects, I would pick out an only partially-overlapping set as the sessions that provided new information and were of real value to those involved in the various efforts.  I think it would be most interesting to hear from some of the NextGen / JPDO support folks who put the workshop together. I know that they are planning to schedule more of these; I wonder what their LL from this one will be, and how they will direct the future focus!

Best,
Amanda