Re: [ontology-summit] Boiling it down to a Elevator Pitch (oreven a Soun

To: "Ontology Summit 2011 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:46:13 -0400
Matthew,
I partially agree with your position on good quality modeling providing many
advantages for data federation.  For example, we currently have a large
financial client who has the typical multi-way data integration problem.  We
gave them a choice of using UML+MDA or Ontologies for producing the "canonical
model" they wanted as the logical pivot point between data structures.  They
chose UML and it is going quite well, we can produce a nice conceptual model
that can be mapped to various applications. The canonical model is not a "data
model", it is a model if their domain.  It is proven that this kind of model
can be mapped to a lot of technologies, at least if you have good people doing
it.  {ok, end of my advertisement}    (01)

But, they have a lot of control and are essentially the only authority for this
conceptual model.  Within their domain they can come to agreement on what
information is relevant for their set of applications.  However even with this,
the mapping of the canonical model to technologies requires proprietary data
mapping tooling and infrastructure.  Where there are independently conceived
representations of the same or related things or there are different viewpoints
with different ways to structure the same information, the well-conceived
structural model we can do in UML does not work as well. Where we have to start
relating these different ways to conceive or structure information the
relations we can define in ontologies show their advantage.  Personally I don't
think we need very sophisticated ontologies, but we need more than lines with
tag names on the end.    (02)

Where we are addressing the data federation and sharing problem we almost
always are starting from these independently conceived models and multiple
viewpoints, so I would stick by my assertion that leveraging ontologies
provides additional benefit.    (03)

-Cory    (04)