Re: [ontology-summit] Boiling it down to a Elevator Pitch (or even a Sou

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:40:28 +0100
Dear Cory,    (01)

A comment or two below.    (02)

> The data sharing and federation problem (Cory Casanave, Model Driven
> Solutions):
>
> Our ability to share, manage, analyze, communicate and act upon
information is
> at the foundation of the modern enterprise.  Information sharing is
essential
> for enterprise supply chains, fighting terrorism and integrating
enterprise
> applications.   Yet, this essential capability has remained difficult in
> information systems which are frequently isolated, stove piped and
difficult
> to integrate.  The inability of our systems to share information hampers
the
> ability of our organizations to collaborate - for our processes, services
and
> information resources to work together.  Some estimate that more than 1/3
of
> our information technology budgets are consumed overcoming this "semantic
> friction" in our systems and that the costs to society from our failure to
> share and collaborate is many times the systems overhead.
>
> Mainstream tools for information and data modeling are effective at
defining a
> particular data model for a particular application in a particular
technology
> to solve a particular problem. But they suffer when applied to multiple
> applications for multiple purposes over multiple technologies to deal with
> unanticipated needs and opportunities.      (03)

MW: This is not true. The tools are quite neutral, and you can do pretty
much anything you can do with OWL with pretty much any data modelling tool.     (04)

MW: What is true is that the data models developed for particular
applications are usually designed to support the processing specific to that
application (to improve application performance) and as a result of that
they are not simply subsets of some corporate data model, and you cannot
create a corporate data model by just adding together the separate
application data models.    (05)

> Most mainstream modeling techniques
> are challenged when faced with federating independently conceived models.    (06)

MW: Can't resist a plug here. Try "Developing high Quality Data Models".    (07)

Regards    (08)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (09)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (010)

> The semantic technologies can serve to define and connect the meaning of
data,
> processes and services rather than just the structure, these technologies
> offer the potential of making a substantial contribution to solving the
"data
> problem".  This is not just theory, there are multiple proof points where
> semantic technologies are providing real solutions today, yet there is
still
> substantial opportunity to develop and leverage these technologies
further.

Indeed,