Re: [ontology-summit] First Cut: OAF in OWL

To: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Simon Robe <simonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:06:44 -0500
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Alan, these are good comments.  See inline remarks.
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > I created a first draft of an owl ontology for the Ontology Application
>> > Framework. The idea is that it should be easy for people to create and
>> > characterize ontology application instances on their own. There is not
>> > quite
>> > enough content yet.
>> > Eventually we could build up a searchable database of semantically
>> > marked up
>> > ontology applications.  It could also be linked with DOAP
>> > Ontology possibly
>> > using some of the same infrastructure tools.   (DOAP: Description of a
>> > Project)
>> > All files are in this Folder
>> > OntologyApplicationFramework.owl Core ontology.
>> >
>> > BenefitsAndTechniques.owl Imports core ontology and adds some
>> > relationships
>> > between benefits and technologies.
>>
>> Some comments - technical.
>>
>> You might consider using owl:versionIRI so that loading
>> BenefitsAndTechniques.owl successfully finds the required import.
>
> I'm not sure how this works - I'll look into it.    (01)

You make the versionIRI be the current location on the web, and have
the importing ontology import that location.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Ontology_IRI_and_Version_IRI    (02)

>> Is UseTime not a subclass of OntologyRole?
>
> I think it may be more of a facet/aspect of f the OntologyRole.  The
> OntologyRole answers the question: "how is the ontology used".  E.g. to
> drive UI forms, or to get everyone on the same page in an enterprise.  Then
> UseTime is an aspect of that.  I don't see it as a subclass, but it  might
> be.  It will become more clear when we get more examples instances and
> subclasses of  OntologyRole.
>

>> OntologyRole: The role of an ontology answers the question: how is the
>> ontology used in an application. An OntologyRole role can also be a
>> TechnologyOrTechnique, e.g. to drive user interface forms.
>> UseTime: When is the ontology used?  e.g. design time or run time.
>>
>> Many(all) of the current individuals in the ontology seem like
>> classes, e.g. ApplicationDeveloper, ApplicationUser...
>
> Yes, this is the old classes as values problem.  Strictly, they are classes.
> For my purposes, I just want to talk about roles.  For example,  I want to
> be able to say the Stakeholder is the CEO or the end-user, or the developer.
>  If we want to model actual individuals, then we might want to model them as
> classes.
> Not sure the best way to handle this in the longer term. Maybe I should use
> OWL full?    (03)

My experience is that you model classes as classes unless impossible
to do so. Doesn't seem impossible here.    (04)

>> Is there a plan to have this ontology extend from one of the
>> upper-level ontologies? (best practices/teach your children well, and
>> all that?)
>>
>> Regarding DOAP, I have used it with OBI. You can browse how we have used
>> it at
>>

>http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/browser/individuals/-1947943038/?session=12e7c7ac79e-7043-12e7c7d0545
>
> This link is not working for me just now.    (05)

Give it time - it can take some minutes at time. It's the only on line
ontology browser I know that will let you look at the instances. But
it can be slow.
Alternatively you can open http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/obi.owl and
look for the individual named "project" -
http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/obi/project and browse from there.    (06)

-Alan    (07)