Re: [ontology-summit] First Cut: OAF in OWL

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Simon Robe <simonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:15:25 -0500
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I created a first draft of an owl ontology for the Ontology Application
> Framework. The idea is that it should be easy for people to create and
> characterize ontology application instances on their own. There is not quite
> enough content yet.
> Eventually we could build up a searchable database of semantically marked up
> ontology applications.  It could also be linked with DOAP Ontology possibly
> using some of the same infrastructure tools.   (DOAP: Description of a
> Project)
> All files are in this Folder
> OntologyApplicationFramework.owl Core ontology.
>
> BenefitsAndTechniques.owl Imports core ontology and adds some relationships
> between benefits and technologies.    (01)

Some comments - technical.    (02)

You might consider using owl:versionIRI so that loading
BenefitsAndTechniques.owl successfully finds the required import.    (03)

Is UseTime not a subclass of OntologyRole?    (04)

OntologyRole: The role of an ontology answers the question: how is the
ontology used in an application. An OntologyRole role can also be a
TechnologyOrTechnique, e.g. to drive user interface forms.
UseTime: When is the ontology used?  e.g. design time or run time.    (05)

Many(all) of the current individuals in the ontology seem like
classes, e.g. ApplicationDeveloper, ApplicationUser...    (06)

Is there a plan to have this ontology extend from one of the
upper-level ontologies? (best practices/teach your children well, and
all that?)    (07)

Regarding DOAP, I have used it with OBI. You can browse how we have used it at
http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/browser/individuals/-1947943038/?session=12e7c7ac79e-7043-12e7c7d0545    (08)

Best,
Alan    (09)

ps. If these comments are off-target, then let me know off-line so I
don't offer more.    (010)