Re: [ontology-summit] URIs for quantities, units and scales

To: "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "David Leal" <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Howard.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter F Brown (Pensive SA)" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:31:21 +0100
Dimensionality is a very tough one though, unless you agree to limit yourself
to discrete value sets.
On the original question of having URIs for certain SI unit types, there are a
number of other questions not touched upon here, concerned with governance:
unless someone is prepared to stick a stake in the ground and assume
responsibility (e.g. the maintenance authorities for the respective ISO
standards), it is difficult to say what the value of any URI set would be.
After all, anybody can (and probably will or already has) create such a list if
it serves a purpose: theirs. The objective here is surely to make such URIs
functionally useful to anyone, hence the issue of governance and visibility.
Some standards organisations make a public commitment not only to sustain their
standards online with permanent URIs (OASIS, W3C, etc) but we need a way of
getting them to recognise the related problem of the value sets used  and have
permanent identifiers for them too: we did this in OASIS a few years back for
the ISO standards for languages and countries but I don't think anyone did this
for any other sets.
For our own work, we are using the ISO 13250 Topic Map standard's "Published
Subject Identifier", designed for exactly this, and using URIs as the
identifier string. Our partner company will shortly be launching a service that
will load, manage and provide URIs for use in Topic Maps, RDF and OWL, but I
don't have the details yet...    (01)

Regards,
Peter    (02)

Peter F Brown
Managing Director
Pensive S.A.    (03)

Pensive S.A. is registered in Belgium, N° 895.677.610 (RPM Brussels)
Registered Office: Avenue de Mercure 13/13, B-1180 Brussels
Correspondence/Visits: Avenue Brugmann, 382, B-1180 Brussels    (04)