Re: [ontology-summit] URIs for quantities, units and scales

To: "'Joel Bender'" <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Howard.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:25:19 -0000
Dear Joel,    (01)

> > And would the creation of such an ontology be a good target for this
> > community (arm in arm with TC12 and others)?
>
> It would be a beautiful sight to see them all dancing arm in arm, but
> as
> David wrote:
>
>     "If an ISO standard assigns a URI to a pipe thread, does
>     dereferencing return a description of the pipe thread to all, a
>     description of the pipe thread but only to an ISO subscriber, or
>     information about where to buy the standard?"
>
> If I have to spend $250 to figure out what a iso:...:snorfPerCubit is,
> This could really kill a whole lot of good work.  The copyright license
> and clause at the front of ISO/IEC 24707:2007 is scary enough, and I
> don't want any of the work that I do to be seen as some illegal
> derivative and get Cornell caught up in some legal snarl.    (02)

[MW] I agree, and it is something we have made progress on. For example
ISO 15926 has a Reference Data Library that includes standard data for
Units of Measure, and they are freely accessible. OK, it's the wrong people
doing it, but there are cracks appearing in the charging model that ISO has
traditionally had. Howard in particular has been in the for-front of this
battle for many years now.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)