Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] plurality

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:10:36 -0500
>We discussed a number of candidates for minimal requirements that any
>ontology has to meet in order to be accepted in the repository.  This is
>the list of candidates of criteria that has been suggested:
>
>1. Openness    (see below)
>2. /The ontology is expressed in a formal language with a well-defined
>syntax./
>3. /The authors of the ontology provide the required metadata. /
>4. /The ontology has a clearly specified and clearly delineated scope.
>/5. /Successive versions of  an ontology are clearly identified.
>/6. /The ontology has passed certain dynamic tests.    /
>7. /The ontology has unique IDs for its terms.    /
>8. /The ontology is adequately labeled.    /
>9. /The ontology has a plurality of users.
/    (01)

Let me open some discussion on the last of these,
#9. This seems particularly wrong-headed, as it
would only allow an ontology into the OOR if it -
the ontology - were already in wide use. But
surely one of the purposes of the OOR is to allow
writers of ontologies to expose them to public
gaze, in order that they might become widely
used, and for potential users to discover new,
potentially useful, ontologies as they become
available.    (02)

Perhaps I have misunderstood what this item is
supposed to mean. Can anyone comment?    (03)

Pat Hayes
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (04)