[ontology-summit] [Quality] suggested gatekeeping: plurality of users

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:06:18 -0400
The following gatekeeping criterion was suggested by Barry:
/The ontology has a plurality of users.       (01)

/I see the point that this criterion is valuable for a certain kind of
ontologies (namely community driven ontologies like in the OBO Foundry)
but I don't see why this should be a minimal requirement that all
ontologies in the OOR are supposed to fulfill. What's wrong with
ontologies that have been developed for a specific purpose by an
individual? If it is a valuable resource for other people then
publishing the ontology in the OOR will lead to a plurality of users.    (02)

Best
Fabian    (03)