Re: [ontology-summit] [Repository-Arch] Minimum required metadata forOOR

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:53:57 -0000
Dear Ravi    (01)

> Requesting Community Input:
>
> For Open Ontology Repository Architecture (OOR), relating to Ontology
> Summit 2008.
>
> What are the minimum metadata fields that would be -
>
> 1. Required
> 2. Desired
> 3. Nice to have
>
> - to capture the essential attributes or metamodel - definition of a
> general ontology.    (02)

MW: Hmmm. Well it seems to me you first need a data model of the elements
of an ontology, before you start talking about the attributes of those
elements.

> A straw man could be started by those in the Ontology areas, e.g.
> 1. Language,
> 2. Relationships - type (meaning), Directionality (from - to), and
> Symmetric or Asymmetric...
> 3. Information (or data) storage capacity or extensibility for
> expansion...
> Etc.    (03)

MW: OK. I'll start the ball rolling. Attached is an incomplete draft data
model written in EXPRESS (ISO 10303-11) which desribes many of the objects
that are needed to create an ontology.    (04)

MW: How does this relate to what you are trying to achieve?