Re: [ontology-summit] [Repository-Arch] Minimum required metadata for OO

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:09:02 -0500
Sharma, Ravi wrote:
> Requesting Community Input:
>
> For Open Ontology Repository Architecture (OOR), relating to Ontology
> Summit 2008.
>
> What are the minimum metadata fields that would be -
>
> 1. Required
> 2. Desired
> 3. Nice to have
>       (01)

While I agree that we should do this requirements analysis, it is also
worth noting
that considerable work has already been done in defining essentially a
data model
(in the form of an ontology) for ontology metadata.  The result is the
Ontology
Metadata Vocabulary (OMV) <http://omv.ontoware.org/>.  I believe that this
work was primarily aimed at ontologies expressed in OWL, but the elements
shown in the OMV overview in OMV-Reportv2.4 are all general.  There is also
tooling available to support repositories which use this vocabulary.     (02)

BTW - Is this the same type of thing which the Ontology ontology discussion
topic is to explore?  If so, maybe this would be better labeled as
such.  The
architecture must support the essential metadata requirements determined by
this analysis, but only a rough understanding of these requirements is
necessary
to make architectural decisions.
> - to capture the essential attributes or metamodel - definition of a
> general ontology.
>
> A straw man could be started by those in the Ontology areas, e.g.
> 1. Language,
> 2. Relationships - type (meaning), Directionality (from - to), and
> Symmetric or Asymmetric...
> 3. Information (or data) storage capacity or extensibility for
> expansion...
> Etc.
>

> Your opinions and threads will help capture essentials relating to
> repository architecture.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ravi
>

> (Dr. Ravi Sharma)
> Co-Champion, OOR Architecture, Ontology Summit 2008
>
> ________________________
>
> Affiliation:
>
> Senior Enterprise Architect
>
> Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)
>
> 8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
> (o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com
> PS Professional Views experessed here are not necessarily those of the
> Company.

-Evan    (03)

Evan K. Wallace
NIST    (04)