Re: [ontology-summit] [Repository-Arch] Minimum required metadata for OO

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michelle Raymond" <michellearaymond@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:09:35 -0600
Re: Metadata impact on Architecture and Metadata required/desired fields    (01)

1. Metadata impact on Architecture    (02)

(I'll break these into separate threads for better tracking after the
OOR meeting today)    (03)

With the thread of "Minimum required metadata for OOR", I personally
see it aiding design of the Repository Architecture through answering
questions such as:
  - does the selection of an architectural approach itself dictate
what metadata is required for the ontologies in the repository?
  - should the metadata associated with an ontology be completely
specified and restricted within the Repository?  Doing so would aid in
structuring the metadata component in the repository and greatly
simplify the hooks needed in the architecture to support the metadata.
(This of course leads to CAN it be restricted and still effective? -
which once again crosses over into ontology-of-ontology and perhaps
also gatekeeping.)
  - if there is metadata about the language (taken to mean encoding)
of the ontology, there is the possibility of the same ontology (i.e.
contains all the same terms, relationships, rules, etc...) being
included in the repository in a different language.  Does this
indicate a need in the architecture to support strict associations
between ontologies?
  - ...    (04)

2.  Metadata required/desired fields    (05)

Evan - I like what I see in the Ontology Metadata Vocabulary (OMV)
<http://omv.ontoware.org/>.    (06)

Perhaps the actual list of minimal required metadata terms should be
reviewed and developed in the [Ont-of-Ont] threads. Whereas the way
architecture directs the need for metadata on ontologies and specific
metadata requirements impact good architecture design should be under
[Repository-Arch].   It seems highly probable that we are going to
find many threads that overlap and perhaps extend beyond the five main
topic areas.    (07)

I'd like to delve more into the OMV, and shall add a comment or two
later in the day.  I agree that the terms although encoded in OWL can
be viewed simply as the concepts to capture in metadata about the
ontology and it's connection within the repository.  That way we don't
get into a language/encoding discussion and focus on content to be
represented.    (08)

Best regards,    (09)

Michelle Raymond    (010)

Principal Research Scientist