Re: [ontology-summit] OntologyFrameworkDraftStatementfortheOntology Summ

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:07:03 +0200
At 03:58 PM 4/22/2007, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
>I agree this is better, John. However, I do know that I can't use this
>for the typical audiences I present ontologies to. "Theories", they
>think they understand because they've heard the word as referring to
>scientific theories, but they don't really know what a theory is.
>
>So I start off using "concept" and tell them simultaneously that it is
>a placeholder for the thing in the world, etc. Then I build up to
>theories, in fact logical theories.    (01)

So ontologies CONTAIN concepts which REFER to THINGS (Entities) in the world?
If so, how do concepts relate to TERMS (expressions in a language).
Am I right in thinking that you want a 3-level theory, here, with
concepts serving as intermediaries between terms and entities?
If so, why is this intermediary level necessary? How does it help?
How, in particular, does it help pedagogically, given that
(demonstrably) people find the term 'concept' so difficult to understand?
BS    (02)