Re: [ontology-summit] OntologyFrameworkDraftStatementfortheOntology Summ

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:23:33 -0400
John..

I agree with you 101% on your goal.  The reason I went into all this was to provide some kind of argument for precisely what you say below - that the words "concept" and "conceptualization" only serve to create confusion.

The Merriam-Webster definition is, IMHO, pretty good, except for the bit about "specifically abstract entities" and the focus on language.  The latter is more forgivable since it is, after all, systems grounded in more-or-less formal language that we're talking about.  The former seems confused - why the focus on "specifically the kinds of abstract entities" while admitting (presumably) non-abstract entities.