Re: [ontology-summit] [Fwd: Re: Ontology Summit 2007 - Survey deadline e

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:37:55 +0100

As requested by Peter, I am reposting an email I sent him.

Chris

-----------------

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the message.

 > [CP]  I am not sure whether this is the kind of feedback  > that you want. Or where you want it posted.

[ppy]  Yes, indeed. It would be useful for you to re-post your input to the [ontology-summit] list. Both the survey and that list (plus, of course, the face-to-face gathering on 4/23 & 24) are the prescribed 'channels' for input to the OntologySummit2007 discourse.

 > [CP]  one growing (sub?) constituency has  > been omitted from your list. That is legacy system re-engineering. ...

[ppy]  Thank you. I just added it under the "Applications Development, Software Engineering and Information Model communities" (ref:

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_DefinitionsOfOntology#nidTJT

) ... hope that is acceptable to you.

Thanks & regards.  =ppy

--

Chris Partridge wrote Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:59:39 +0100:

> [...]

> reaches the real world.

> While this may look like an argument about words, I think there is

> something a little more substantial to it. If one subscribes to a

> realist view, then questions of interoperability often ultimately turn

> on agreeing what in the real world (i.e. ontology) is being modelled.

> If you take the real world out of the equation, then interoperability gets more difficult to deal with.

> On a second point, it seems to me that one growing (sub?) constituency

> has been omitted from your list. That is legacy system re-engineering.

> I am not sure quite where this fits in. This deals with the recapture

> of the business knowledge in existing systems typically for re-development or integration.

> Given that the majority of IT spend is currently on existing system -

> I think this area deserves some consideration. I seem to recall some

> mails on the list some time ago that noted its importance.

> I appreciate that both these point boil down to noting that my survey

> input has not found its way onto the site yet.

> Best regards,

> Chris

> Extract from webpage*******************************1

> Ontologies are standard methods for the interpretion of information.

> An ontology covers presentation, code writing, and processing. All

> ontologies together could be imagined in a pyramid, where the upper,

> governing, ontologies are broad and nearly constant. Ontologies geared

> to specific types of information have more variables, serving as templates for specific

> types of projects. [posted by DeborahMacPherson / 2007.02.01]    (TF4)

> "What is an Ontology?" - "An ontology is a specification of a

> conceptualization." ... "Ontologies as a specification mechanism" ...

> (from "A Translation Approach to Portable Ontology Specifications" TomGruber /

> 1993) [posted by PeterYim / 2007.01.18]    (T1I)

> "What is an Ontology?" by LeoObrst - Ontolog invited Speaker -

> ConferenceCall_2006_01_12 [posted by PeterYim / 2007.01.18]    (T1J)

> wikipedia - WikiPedia:Ontology & Ontology (computer science) [posted by

> PeterYim / 2007.01.18]    (T1K)

> from MichaelUschold - 2 slides on "Kinds of Ontology" - excerpt from

> his keynote presentation at the 9th International Protégé Conference (July 2006,

> Stanford, CA.) [posted by PeterYim / 2007.01.18]    (T1L)

> An ontology is a 'set of agreed terms of references' that define a

> given knowledge domain and its established boundaries, and includes

> abstractions, representations, formalisations, transformations and

> implementations'. It is also a 'conceptual and semantic model of reality' developed to provide view

> of the world. [posted by PaolaDiMaio / 2007.02.08]    (TLZ)

> Extract from webpage*******************************2

> Applications Development, Software Engineering and Information Model

> communities    (TJT)

> software engineering / developers / programmers community    (TJW)

>>> again.

>>> If not, then let me know what I can do.

>>> Regards

>>> Chris