[ontology-summit] PLEASE, PLEASE!!

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andreas Tolk <atolk@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:07:44 -0500
Although this is dangerous ground and may provoke another PLEASE, PLEASE
outcry:    (01)

While ontology without doubt serve as a map between natural languages and
artificial languages they also serve as a map between artificial languages.
As the series chaired by Matthew West demonstrates, the use of ontological
means to semantically align the different abstractions of reality (a.k.a.
models) underlying the different information systems supporting the
decision process is a necessary application domain. As such, ontologies
serve as a common information exchange coordinator between artificial
languages and represent the decision makers information request and his
view of the world to access this heterogeneous information collective.    (02)

In summary:
(1) Ontology serves as a map between  natural languages and artificial
languages for information (or knowledge) access.
(2) Ontology serves as a map between heterogeneous artificial languages to
enable homogenous decision support based on heterogenous information
infrastructures by enabling semantically aligned exchange of information
(or knowledge).    (03)

Andreas
Andreas Tolk, Ph.D.
Associate Professor/Engineering Management & Systems Engineering
Old Dominion University    (04)

ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/06/2007 10:28:43 AM:    (05)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007