Re: [ontology-summit] PLEASE, PLEASE!!

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:53:17 -0500
John,    (01)

John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

>Steve,
>
>That is certainly true:
>
> > ... don't forget that the question is really "can we define
> > a scale within which one can place true ontologies, thesauri,
> > folksonomies, etc.?". To answer that, we MAY have to answer
> > "what is an ontology".
>
>Not only "may", but "must".
>
>My answer to the question is that an ontology serves as a map
>between natural languages and artificial languages.

Hmmm, do you mean to say that being a "map between natural languages and
artificial languages" is a defining characteristic of an ontology?    (03)

In other words, that in the absence of that characteristic some X that
is under discussion is not an ontology?    (04)

>That puts type hierarchies at the center, with links to
>NL lexical resources such as WordNet on one side and
>links to implementations such as Cyc on the other side.
>
>And by the way, I *detest* the word "folksonomy".  First of all,
>the word "folk" implies some derogatory or deprecating attitude.
>Yet some of those things embody more insight into the issues
>than some of the things that use a formal notation.

+1    (05)

Hope you are having a great day!    (06)

Patrick    (07)

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (09)