ontology-summit-advisors

Re: [ontology-summit-advisors] Comment for Communique - application doma

To: OntologySummit2010 Advisory Committee <ontology-summit-advisors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx" <fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown (Pensive)" <Peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:55:41 -0700
As I understand the draft, the purpose of the section on application domains
(2AV4 and following) is *not* to enumerate which applications domains are, or
might be, of interest to ontologists, but rather to underline the fact that any
domain can *benefit* from having ontologists analyse it and encapsulate an
ontology for it.    (01)

If we continue to add examples, people are going to start to look at what's
missing and why (the process has already started with the requests for
additions), and it won't end.    (02)

Can I suggest another tack?    (03)

"Any domain could be an application domain for ontologists. Ontologies are
already used and are being developed for us in many domains, including in
science, business, government, education, health and culture.    (04)

"Having such ontologies not only facilitates human understanding of the
characteristics of a particular domain and greater interoperability of
information systems used in the domain, but also greater understanding and
interoperability between domains."    (05)

I have the same general remark to other instances in the text where examples
are given: either give one, where the understanding might not be clear; or none
at all.    (06)

The objective is to clarify, not to enumerate exhaustively.    (07)

Regards,
Peter    (08)