ontology-based-standards

[ontolog-forum] Radio 4 In Our Time on "Ordinary Language Philosophy"

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ontology-based-standards'" <ontology-based-standards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Neil McNaughton" <neil@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 09:00:24 +0100

All,

This BBC Radio 4 program should be of interest to the ontolog community...

Podcast on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ggc19

Ordinary Language Philosophy Duration: 43 minutes

First broadcast:Thursday 07 November 2013Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss Ordinary Language Philosophy, a school of thought which emerged in Oxford in the years following World War II. With its roots in the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein, Ordinary Language Philosophy is concerned with the meanings of words as used in everyday speech. Its adherents believed that many philosophical problems were created by the misuse of words, and that if such 'ordinary language' were correctly analyzed, such problems would disappear. Philosophers associated with the school include some of the most distinguished British thinkers of the twentieth century, such as Gilbert Ryle and JL Austin.

With: Stephen Mulhall, Professor of Philosophy at New College, Oxford, Ray Monk, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southampton and Julia Tanney, Reader in Philosophy of Mind at the University of Kent

Regards

Neil McNaughton

Editor, Oil IT Journal (www.oilit.com)

The Data Room