ontology-based-standards

Re: [ontology-based-standards] small follow-up on RE: "Ontology-based St

To: <ontology-based-standards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <Simon.Cox@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 02:37:42 +0000

Maybe. But it also depends on the size of the pipe and the rate of flow.

The reason that crocodiles are interesting is

(a)     In this context they are not fundamentally different to any other kind of suspended particle.

(b)    They are a real water quality indicator, both in terms of the capacity of a water body to support life, and the capacity of the water body to support recreation!

(c)     They are memorable!

It seems that Torsten and Boyan are suggesting there is a fundamental distinction between dissolved and suspended contaminants, but I’m not sure there is a firm line. When I did physical chemistry there was a continuum from solution-suspension-emulsion-colloid, but in the case of suspension I’m not sure if there is a critical particle size – look at the movies from the Fukushima tsunami to see how very large objects can be part of the flow.

You also appear to be accepting that hydrodynamics is the use-case under discussion. There are other cases in which water contaminants play a role.

Simon