ontology-based-standards

[ontology-based-standards] small follow-up on RE: "Ontology-based Standa

To: <ontology-based-standards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <Simon.Cox@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:39:54 +0000
Re the discussion about water/crocodiles/water bodies etc:     (01)

This issue is partly accommodated by the O&M model, where the
'feature-of-interest' (e.g. a specific water body) is distinguished from the
'observed-property' (concentration of crocodiles) (and also from the procedure
or sensor).
This in turn is a corollary of the underlying 'feature model' which, like
pretty much all of the meta-models we are using including OWL, distinguishes
between classes/objects and properties/property-values.     (02)

There is an issue that many vocabularies of 'observed properties' conflate
these concerns, so in standard water property vocabularies we see entries like:
   'concentration of crocodiles in a water body measured using a fooglemeter
averaged over 3-day intervals and expressed as a number scaled by the
unit-of-measure "bites"'.     (03)

But the analysis is established in O&M since many years now.     (04)

Simon    (05)