Re: [ontolog-forum] A Question About Mathematical Logic

To: Rich Cooper <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 01:04:49 +0000 (UTC)
Rich,

Like an earlier comment, yours emphasizes, I believe, the need to discuss (i) the difference between formal ontology and ontology engineering (which is roughly the difference between theory and practice), and (ii) the problems that arise when ontology engineers finding themselves having to do ontology, rather than having to just plug uncontroversial mini-ontologies into some well-defined framework (like Protege) or into a framework/template toolkit like OWL/RDF. I intend to do this in a new thread, and soon.

I have seen several remarks, by the engineers among us, about ontology and semantics being irrelevant to the work they do, being irrelevant, as you put it, to "real engineering problems". But I have also seen the confusion engineers create when they work with anything other than uncontroversial ontology fragments, e.g. a company's product hierarchy.

As an ontologist, and a person somewhat familiar with systems of logic, I nonetheless appreciate the importance of getting ontologies into frameworks. That, in my opinion, is what puts the semantics in the Semantic Web -- it gives automated systems, doing cross-database queries, the ability to understand cross-database semantics. (Pat Hayes to correct me, please, if I'm off course here.)

An example I have come across in every one of two dozen enterprises I have worked for, is the question: "What is a customer?", where that question, more fully, means "What does your enterprise take a customer of yours to be?" I have never found subject matter experts who have been able to answer that question, without a good deal of help from me. And the help I provide is help in doing ontology clarification work, not help in plugging lexical items representing ontological categories into an ontology tool. Moreover, I have never found two enterprises whose experts defined "customer" in exactly the same way.

From which it follows that a cross-database query that assumes that two tables named "Customer Table", in two different enterprise's databases, are both about customers, is almost certain to be mistaken. Both tables may be about fruit, but there is certain to be an apples and oranges issue there.

A formal ontology which includes customers, on the other hand, might be able to distinguish apples from oranges if it could access an ontology framework about customers. Given that the concepts have been correctly and extensively-enough clarified, here is where the ontology engineer proves his worth.

But to define the category Customer clearly enough, it isn't engineering work that needs to be done. It's the far more difficult (in my opinion) ontology clarification work that needs to be done. (I expand on this example in the section "On Using Ontologies", pp. 73-74 in my book Bitemporal Data: Theory and Practice. I think I also elaborated on it a few weeks or months ago, here at Ontolog.)

So I think that engineers who suggest that clarifying ontological categories is irrelevant to their work as ontology engineers, are mistaken. Such work seems mistaken to them, I think, because most of the ontologies they put into their well-defined frameworks are relatively trivial, i.e. are ontologies that subject matter experts have no trouble agreeing on. The lower-level the ontologies we engineer, the more that will tend to be the case.

But ascend into mid-level or upper-level ontologies, and ontology engineers get lost, and don't know how to find a clear path through the forest whose trees are those categories. And so instead of admitting "We're lost", they say instead "We strayed into a swamp that has nothing to do with the real engineering work we do -- which turns out to be the relatively straightforward work of plugging labels for uncontroversial ontological categories, and taxonomies thereof, into Protege or its like".

I say, on the contrary, that conceptual clarification work in mid- and upper-level ontologies have everything to do with ontology engineering, and are where the really difficult work of that engineering is done. An analogy: machine-tooling parts is the hard work of manufacturing; assembling those parts is the easy work.

And my apologies to Leo, Pat and other whose comments on my question I have not yet responded to. I will, and soon. And I thank them and all other respondents for helping me think through the question I raised.

Tom