Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: CfP 11/16/2015: Knowledge-Based AI Track at 2016

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 01:49:09 -0400
On 9/15/2015 11:41 PM, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> The description of knowledge-based vs "statistics"-based AI is an entry
> point into so much that I am interested in...    (01)

I believe that the first step is to erase the 'vs' between the two.
Note the ending of the announcement that Leo forwarded to the list:    (02)

> While the knowledge-based AI is often juxtaposed to the statistics-
> based AI, we see the contrast as unnecessarily exclusionary, in that
> systems combining the intuitive directness of knowledge representation
> with the efficiency of statistics-based computation have distinct
> advantages.    (03)

My only objection to that point is the idea that statistical methods
are more efficient than knowledge-based systems.  Efficiency always
depends on the specific problem that is being addressed at the moment.    (04)

Following is a paper that discusses related issues -- especially the
point that there is *no limit* to the number and variety of reasoning
systems. Just look at the number of different ways of thinking by
different people -- or by the same person at different moments.    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/cogcycle.pdf
    The cognitive cycle    (06)

I presented this paper at a conference in Poland.  When I return next
week, I'll post the slides, which have more detail about some of the
issues.  I quote the following point by Marvin Minsky in both:    (07)

> What magical trick makes us intelligent? The trick is that there is
> no trick.  The power of intelligence stems from our vast diversity,
> not from any single, perfect principle.  Our species has evolved many
> effective although imperfect methods, and each of us individually
> develops more on our own.  Eventually, very few of our actions and
> decisions come to depend on any single mechanism. Instead, they emerge
> from conflicts and negotiations among societies of processes that
> constantly challenge one another.    (08)

The major research issue is to understand the open-ended diversity.
The major obstacle is the claim that some single method is the
foundation for a GUT -- a Grand Unified Theory.    (09)

Motto:  Beware of nuts with guts.    (010)