Re: [ontolog-forum] STANDARD ONTOLOGY: USECS: The Catalog of World Entit

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:13:25 +0000 (UTC)
Dear Dr. Abdoullaev,

I have read the shorter of your slideshares, and begun to skim the longer one. At first glance, I find your work very interesting, and indeed impressive.

I am especially impressed that you have attempted to bridge your upper ontology to upper ontologies used elsewhere, e.g. by Encyclopedia Brittanica. Since a bridge between ontologies is in effect a translation between languages, and since translation is never exact, how do you handle such semantic phenomena as ambiguity and vagueness?

When I read that yours is a lattice-structured ontology, I immediately thought of John Sowa's lattice-structured ontology, described in his book Knowledge Representation. I'm somewhat familiar with John's ontology, and also with DOLCE. Could you comment on how your ontology differs from those ones and, more generally, what led you to develop a new upper-level ontology?

Also, could you tell us something of the community of researchers you worked with to develop this ontology?

Regards,

Tom Johnston