Re: [ontolog-forum] Watchout Watson: Here comes Amazon Machine Learning

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 03:03:47 -0400
Tom,    (01)

> If you don't have this link to Paul Vincent Spade's self-published
> book, Mediaeval Logic and Philosophy, http://pvspade.com/Logic/    (02)

I've downloaded a lot of files from his web site, and I highly
recommend his book.  He wrote, revised, and extended it during
many years of teaching.  I'm sure that the the only reason why
no publisher printed it is that they didn't think they could
make a profit from it -- and they were probably right.    (03)

> I also recommend adding to your bibliography..., the following work
> on Stoic logic:  Benson Mates. Stoic Logic. (U Cal Press, 1953).    (04)

Thanks for the reference.  I haven't read it, but I noticed that
Barnes & Noble (bn.com) have a paperback reprint for $16.68.    (05)

One of the main reasons why I studied ancient & medieval logic is
that the logicians, philosophers, and mathematicians who did were
far ahead of those who didn't.  Peirce, for example, took pride in
having the best collection of medieval books and manuscripts on logic
in the Boston area (and that includes Harvard).  Two others who had
a solid background in medieval logic were Bolzano and Brentano.    (06)

Bolzano made many contributions in mathematics and pioneering work
in logic and ontology.  Brentano is most famous for his contributions
to psychology, but he also had many influential students:  Husserl
(pioneer in formal ontology); Twardowski (founder of the Polish
school of logic, which included Tarski, Lukasiewicz, and many others);
Freud (psychoanalysis); and the leaders in Gestalt psychology.    (07)

More recently, Hilary Putnam would tell his students "Whenever I become
clearer about a subject, I find that Aristotle has become clearer too."    (08)