Re: [ontolog-forum] Watch out Watson: Here comes Amazon Machine Learning

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nancy Lawler <nklawler@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 23:42:26 -0400
Ed,
Thank you, I love the clarity that you contribute.
Nancy

On Apr 27, 2015, at 3:50 PM, Edward Barkmeyer <ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To follow up on Matthew’s position, I would say it a bit more strongly.

Logical existence is a mathematical notion.  It characterizes things as being included in your chosen universe of discourse, which may thus serve as referents of logical variables quantified by ‘exists’ and ‘(for)all’, full stop.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the philosophical notions of existence, metaphysics and ontology, UNTIL you import formal logical methods into your philosophical arguments. Proofs of existence of objects in a mathematical space are about an intentionally theoretical universe of discourse, which may or may not be founded in anything considered to be “real” or “actual”.  Conversely, when you use quantified logic in philosophical arguments, you have to define your universe of discourse – what things “exist” in your philosophy.

The fact that Greek philosophers did not clearly separate these ideas because they were exploring both of them more or less simultaneously does not excuse our creating similar confusion.  One word “existence”; two (or more) importantly different concepts.

When Hamlet says “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy”, he is only saying that his personal UoD for reasoning about observed events includes things that Horatio’s  colder realism does not.

-Ed