[ontolog-forum] FW: Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: "MetaSemantics Corporation" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:53:15 -0700

Dear Pat,

I apologize for the several days of delay that kept me busy till now, but here is my reply to your thoughtful post

You wrote below:<<

PH>> Something seems to be wrong here: if this were a real difference about the structure of the actual world and this centrally important, then it would be an issue in physics; and it isn't. I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that.

Pat<<

With the primitive state of physics today, we have zillions more hypotheses (in your words, but when mathematically proven or not, theories in my words, until they have been conclusively validated in reality) than we can reasonably explore in any complete way.

What is missing in today's knowledge is just how, and why, people work in the situations we each find ourselves occupying.  With a precise description of that, we can simulate it, but that simulation doesn't make it real.  Viz the Ice Age Warnings => Global Warming => Climate Change => "voted out of office" sequence of democrat politicalalia.   As so many political transitions have shown, as JFS said, "people will do what they damn well please".

PH>> Each side believes itself to be right with the force of a religious commitment. Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult. Something seems to be wrong here: if this were a real difference about the structure of the actual world and this centrally important, then it would be an issue in physics; and it isn't. I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that.

<<

I agree that " Each side believes itself to be right with the force of a religious commitment." I also agree that "Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult".  I also agree that "Something seems to be wrong here:...".

But that suggests to me a control feedback with setpoint for some evolutionary survival property, or behavior, or taxis.  We stick together in various kinds of groups.  The kinship relationship (one such grouping) has been described already, but there are other pair wise motivators that bind people to groups and the reverse.

The groups may start with high levels of diversity, such as the Romans who overthrew the Etruscan enslavers and started a highly diverse group of men with stolen "wives" - the Rape of the Sabine Women" as it was called.  Over time, groups that survive eventually reach an only modestly divergent population, but the main subscription requirement is allegiance to the group.

Greenies seek other greenies, democrats seek other democrats, SPCA volunteers seek others. And those in a group find their spectrum of belief issues gradually changing to match those in the group due to the emotional structure of our minds, IMHO, shared with so many "lower" animals, from bonobos, through crows, to dolphins, ants, octopi, you name it.

There is an inherited capability in our makeup for behavioral taxes that leads us toward groups of others with similar enough characteristics, or common property values, that we want to be part of.  But not everyone wants to be in a group.  There are always exceptions, even to the exceptions.

You continued:

PH>> Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult.<<

I think the reason for that consistently appearing result, is likely to be that people literally have different models in their minds, because they have unique specific experience bases in their memories.  The reason is literally the subjectivity of the individual.  You've heard (seen) me say (type) this before in many examples.  I think you should seriously consider that as a possible cause and debate it with me at your convenience.

It's not only the jargon of a specific vertical application (which is also included of course).  It's also due to the context which each person associates with the objects and actions, the instances and events, about which the subjective participants bring to the interpretation of said instances and events.

It is my opinion that each individual should have one or more personal ontologies that, together, scratch the itches he needs scratched to be productive and efficient.  Alternatively, you can run it like a group of draftees told to do the same things in the same words, but again as JFS mentioned earlier, "people will do whatever they damn well please".  So the idea of a common vocabulary for those "concepts" philosophers agree on would make a good basic ontology, with a vocabulary that philosophers alone can like.  But even philosophers can't agree on it.

Groups of people united by a common passion (e.g., FOL, Religion, Science, Politics, Lunch, ...) can use a substitute vocabulary derived by analyzing the corpus of said group's members' communications.  Same with subgroups, so the IEEE, or AAAI, or ACM, or National Geographic, can have top level vocabularies that substitute properly for *MANY* of the philosophical ones, if there are philosophers enough volunteering to write the substitution dictionaries.  I doubt if SMEs will want to write the reverse - translations from subject matter vocabularies to philosophical ones will be of much interest to them.

Ditto with the other groups.  Ultimately, individuals will choose their own favorite mappings to your FOL terminology.  But people only will use it if *THEY* decide it is *USEFUL* to them.

So the main task of selling ontologies is more in the marketing domain than in the philosophical , ontological, engineering or linguistic expressions of knowledge.  You have to satisfy the user's felt needs.  All the users, all their felt needs.

Again you continued:

"I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that.".

Pat, if you can show that, or even show it as likely, I would love to look at it.  Please send me or the list whatever you think will demonstrate that, because I am very, very interested in that debate.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com