ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

[ontolog-forum] FW: Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: "MetaSemantics Corporation" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:53:15 -0700
Message-id: <025401d0791e$3d9f6360$b8de2a20$@com>

Dear Pat,

I apologize for the several days of delay that kept me busy till now, but here is my reply to your thoughtful post

You wrote below:<<

PH>> Something seems to be wrong here: if this were a real difference about the structure of the actual world and this centrally important, then it would be an issue in physics; and it isn't. I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that. 

Pat<<

With the primitive state of physics today, we have zillions more hypotheses (in your words, but when mathematically proven or not, theories in my words, until they have been conclusively validated in reality) than we can reasonably explore in any complete way. 

What is missing in today's knowledge is just how, and why, people work in the situations we each find ourselves occupying.  With a precise description of that, we can simulate it, but that simulation doesn't make it real.  Viz the Ice Age Warnings => Global Warming => Climate Change => "voted out of office" sequence of democrat politicalalia.   As so many political transitions have shown, as JFS said, "people will do what they damn well please". 

PH>> Each side believes itself to be right with the force of a religious commitment. Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult. Something seems to be wrong here: if this were a real difference about the structure of the actual world and this centrally important, then it would be an issue in physics; and it isn't. I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that. 

<< 

I agree that " Each side believes itself to be right with the force of a religious commitment." I also agree that "Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult".  I also agree that "Something seems to be wrong here:...". 

But that suggests to me a control feedback with setpoint for some evolutionary survival property, or behavior, or taxis.  We stick together in various kinds of groups.  The kinship relationship (one such grouping) has been described already, but there are other pair wise motivators that bind people to groups and the reverse. 

The groups may start with high levels of diversity, such as the Romans who overthrew the Etruscan enslavers and started a highly diverse group of men with stolen "wives" - the Rape of the Sabine Women" as it was called.  Over time, groups that survive eventually reach an only modestly divergent population, but the main subscription requirement is allegiance to the group. 

Greenies seek other greenies, democrats seek other democrats, SPCA volunteers seek others. And those in a group find their spectrum of belief issues gradually changing to match those in the group due to the emotional structure of our minds, IMHO, shared with so many "lower" animals, from bonobos, through crows, to dolphins, ants, octopi, you name it.

There is an inherited capability in our makeup for behavioral taxes that leads us toward groups of others with similar enough characteristics, or common property values, that we want to be part of.  But not everyone wants to be in a group.  There are always exceptions, even to the exceptions. 

You continued:

PH>> Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult.<<

I think the reason for that consistently appearing result, is likely to be that people literally have different models in their minds, because they have unique specific experience bases in their memories.  The reason is literally the subjectivity of the individual.  You've heard (seen) me say (type) this before in many examples.  I think you should seriously consider that as a possible cause and debate it with me at your convenience. 

It's not only the jargon of a specific vertical application (which is also included of course).  It's also due to the context which each person associates with the objects and actions, the instances and events, about which the subjective participants bring to the interpretation of said instances and events. 

It is my opinion that each individual should have one or more personal ontologies that, together, scratch the itches he needs scratched to be productive and efficient.  Alternatively, you can run it like a group of draftees told to do the same things in the same words, but again as JFS mentioned earlier, "people will do whatever they damn well please".  So the idea of a common vocabulary for those "concepts" philosophers agree on would make a good basic ontology, with a vocabulary that philosophers alone can like.  But even philosophers can't agree on it. 

Groups of people united by a common passion (e.g., FOL, Religion, Science, Politics, Lunch, ...) can use a substitute vocabulary derived by analyzing the corpus of said group's members' communications.  Same with subgroups, so the IEEE, or AAAI, or ACM, or National Geographic, can have top level vocabularies that substitute properly for *MANY* of the philosophical ones, if there are philosophers enough volunteering to write the substitution dictionaries.  I doubt if SMEs will want to write the reverse - translations from subject matter vocabularies to philosophical ones will be of much interest to them. 

Ditto with the other groups.  Ultimately, individuals will choose their own favorite mappings to your FOL terminology.  But people only will use it if *THEY* decide it is *USEFUL* to them. 

So the main task of selling ontologies is more in the marketing domain than in the philosophical , ontological, engineering or linguistic expressions of knowledge.  You have to satisfy the user's felt needs.  All the users, all their felt needs. 

Again you continued:

"I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that.".

Pat, if you can show that, or even show it as likely, I would love to look at it.  Please send me or the list whatever you think will demonstrate that, because I am very, very interested in that debate. 

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick J. Hayes
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:07 PM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on Descriptive vs. Prescriptive Ontologies

Rich, I agree that almost any two people will eventually differ on some conceptual point or other, sometimes quite soon. I have a collection of amusing anecdotes from working on CYC where this kind of thing happened. But the philosophical debates about endurantism versus perdurantism seem to be at a higher (?deeper?) level than this kind of variation, and have proven to be a stubborn problem in many domains. Every position on this higher-level debate comes with a huge freight of philosophical authority and argument, which makes it almost impossible to resolve. Each side believes itself to be right with the force of a religious commitment. Entire ontological engineering efforts have taken one or another position on this matter and welded their positions into formalisms and software, making cooperation very difficult. Something seems to be wrong here: if this were a real difference about the structure of the actual world and this centrally important, then it would be an issue in physics; and it isn't. I have suspected for a long time that it had to be basically an artifact of a limitation of our usual formalisms, and I think I can now show that. 

Pat

Rich Cooper <Rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> , 3/17/2015 2:15 PM:

Dear Amanda,

You wrote:

Yes, but more than that. In addition, the actual logic allows each point of view to be expressed in ways that 'natural' for it, and appropriate conclusions drawn within that point of view, and yet both POVs can use the same vocabulary and be not only mutually consistent (in the strict logical sense) but even interderivable from one another, given appropriate linking axioms. So a conclusion stated in one style can be interderivable with the same conclusion stated in the other style.

While that is true, it should also be that SMEs 1 and 2 would describe a slightly different view, using slightly different vocabulary, not only in the orthogonal sense of logic for different views, but in the sense of the reasoning each uses to customize the individual history with that semantic belief of 1, versus that semantic belief of 2. 

In every KE project I have worked on, conducted or been involved with, there are subtle differences in world view of each participant.  If they got to freely discuss and debate wherever problems arose, it could get intense, but it worked more smoothly than the sweat shop management method.  If the manager or customer determined a highly detailed work plan without discussing it with KEs in the same detail, the plan would be very unstable, with lots of unanticipated problems that vary by the week. 

So requiring a single POV's vocabulary to match another's simply hasn't worked historically.  Therefore, I expect each claim in a patent to have a unique vocabulary beyond the claim construction vocabulary.  So far, they do, and by experience I know that the crucial issues will be decided over those words and phrases that are not standard.  Each claim represents one POV as specified, edited, reviewed, and ultimately issued. 

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Amanda Vizedom
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:19 AM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on Descriptive vs. Prescriptive Ontologies

Comment below. 

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 17, 2015, at 2:24 AM, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Pat,
> It seems to me you are saying that the data elements that you need to talk
> about what is true at a time and change over time are the same for the
> different views of how the world is.

Yes, but more than that. In addition, the actual logic allows each point of view to be expressed in ways that 'natural' for it, and appropriate conclusions drawn within that point of view, and yet both POVs can use the same vocabulary and be not only mutually consistent (in the strict logical sense) but even interderivable from one another, given appropriate linking axioms. So a conclusion stated in one style can be interderivable with the same conclusion stated in the other style.

> I agree. If you are to provide an
> adequate description of however the world is from different view points, I
> think that must be so even. If not the different views would not work, and
> would be dismissed. The problem is that the different views are workable,
> rather than demonstrably wrong.
> However, I don't think that a data format that obfuscates the different
> views helps. It does not make the different views the same somehow, it just
> demonstrates some level of equivalence. Equivalence is not the same as
> compatibility.

Indeed, but one gets actual compatibility from this style of axiomatization. (Well to be very careful, there are things that can only be stated in one framework, but nothing can be done about that.)

Pat

Yes, and more than that:  The approach Pat describes does not "obfuscate the different views."  Having sufficient expressiveness and logical features allows one to represent very many things as seen from both + perspectives. If you are working on a project for which it is useful to have that flexibility, it is very, very likely that it will also be useful to *capture*, that is *model* the different views more or less explicitly. You will also want not only model-parts that let you convert between the two, but inference support that actually does this, and easily.

Having these things is very useful in enabling multi-modal, multi-directional, and flexible interaction between an ontological knowledge base and (a) people, (b) varied systems, and (c) complementary sub-systems such as NLP that have their own internal representation and can be used more efficiently if they can interact with the knowledge base's contents in a particular form. In other words, such flexibility, with explicit (non-obfuscated) axiomitization of various models and relationships between them, enables a wider variety of applications, guis, and systems to work with the same ontology / knowledge base, each interacting with the knowledge (semi-)normalized to the form most conducive to that interaction.

Best,

Amanda

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ 
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J    (01)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [ontolog-forum] FW: Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on Descriptive vs. Prescriptive Ontologies, MetaSemantics Corporation <=