Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:10:23 -0000

Dear Mike,

This is part of why there are consequences from the choices you make between 3D and 4D.

Matthew,

One does not necessarily have to have abandoned some form of 3D to resolve the question of "President of the US" versus "Barack Obama".

[MW>] Of course not. The issue is that 3D does not tell you how to resolve the question, and there is more than one solution available. 4D gives you only one choice.

Many 3D+1 ontologies would have a separate partition for "relative things" including people in roles such the president of somewhere.

[MW>] Yes indeed. The question is whether the relative thing is a class or a particular. My understanding is that BFO makes this kind of role a particular, but others make it a class.

Being in a role is not intrinsically about time, however by referring to the relative thing as a class one can assert things about its temporality (e.g. start and end dates) separately from any such assertions about the person or entity that sits in such a role.

[MW>] It sounds like you favour things like the President and such like as classes. I won’t say that you can’t do it, but I find it unattractive. I would want to be able to say that the President of the United States signed a treaty, but classes do not make good actors as abstract objects, so there are more contortions to be gone through.

However, in any case my point really is that this is another difference that is a consequence of the difference between 3D and 4D. It is not just the view of particulars as objects passing through time, but then things like presidents can end up in an entirely different category (class rather than particular). I’m sure that you can still map between them in the end, but the inconsistencies grow and it becomes harder to pretend they are the same really. Only the underlying reality they represent is the same.

Regards

Matthew West

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk

+44 750 338 5279