[ontolog-forum] Descriptive plus Prescriptive makes Scriptive Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <Rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:39:52 -0700

It seems to me that combining the two - object properties and process properties - would be more realistic than separating them.  It has been common practice to separate them for so long we should at least review the reasons why we don't, in practice, put them together.

In games, the objects go through state changes and also appear to perform actions.  Those would certainly be natural examples we could discuss it that way.  Starships, Klingons, Martians, ray weapons, shields, sick bay, Captain Kirk, Scotty, the whole cast, the Conn, and all those objects could be used as examples.

But isn't the idea to construct "Scriptive" ontologies, i.e., task schedules, as stored or calculated, for each object?  One purpose of the historic separation was for partitioning the program, from the data tables, so that the software could be generalized for use in wider application domains.  But that separation changes the design to ensure that an API for the scheduler would be distinct from an API to the script tables manager - SQL or NoSQL.  Separating the two subsystems over the years has gradually made each subsystem more general, more efficient at its subtask, and more complete in its treatment of the combined System, both software and tables.

HTML is an example of scripted layout, and there is an ontology of objects and operations that can be extracted from the various verbs and nouns in HTML pages.  HTML also separates out the verb parts from the declarative parts, and the latest version is syntactically closed, so it's hierarchical and very easy to parse.  Yet it still maintains the separation of objects from processes.  Why is that the choice made instead of putting them together?  What would be gained or lost by integrating them?

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com