Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Proposed RDF FHIR syntax feedback

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:57:36 +0000

The earliest mentions of the Tbox/Abox distinction goes back at least to the days of KRYPTON and KL-ONE. I.e., circa 1983-1985. By the way, the latter is usually considered the first “description logic”. And so description logics then combined frame-based and assertional (logical) representation.

See:

Brachman RJ, Fikes RE, Levesque HJ (1983) KRYPTON: integrating terminology and assertion. In: Proceedings of the 3th national conference on artificial intelligence (AAAI'83), pp 31-35. http://aaaipress.org/Papers/AAAI/1983/AAAI83-005.pdf.

Also see the following reference, for a range of emerging systems of the time, including description logic systems:

Special Issue on Implemented Knowledge Representation and Reasoning Systems, SIGART Bulletin Volume 2, Number 3, June, 1991.  Note: This issue is always cited by everyone and remains the best single issue of  the SIGART Bulletin ever, if you ask me, and is still useful; contains papers on every major KR system, including the description logics of the time: KRIS, LOOM, CLASSIC, BACK, Algernon, RHET, K-Rep, TELOS and the LILOG KR system.

Thanks,

Leo