Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Proposed RDF FHIR syntax feedback

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hassan Aït-Kaci <hak@xxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:17:48 -0400
On 3/10/2015 5:14 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> AFAIK, nobody has claimed that [OWL] is The Ontology Language. It is
> "the" W3C-recommended WEB Ontology Language, with an emphasis on
> the "Web" part.    (01)

As soon as I hit SEND, I realized that I should have added the word
'web' because somebody was going to make that point.  But I'll cite
the following 4-page paper by Hassan Aït-Kaci:    (02)

    http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1252/invited2.pdf
    What formalism for the Semantic Web?    (03)

This short paper discusses the issues (with lots of references).
See below for excerpts from one of them.    (04)

I know that somebody will say "Yes, but the SW has huge volumes
of data.  We need high-speed performance."    (05)

Fortunately, HAK designed the CEDAR system, which runs circles
around the fastest OWL reasoners on very large ontologies
(ranging from 6,135 to 903,617 sorts or classes).  At the end of
this note is a copy of an earlier note I sent to Ontolog forum
with the references and details.    (06)

Fundamental point:  Anyone who finds OWL useful can continue to use
it indefinitely.  For those very large ontologies, CEDAR imported
the OWL specifications.  And it runs SPARQL queries that use them
-- but with a huge improvement in performance.    (07)

And CEDAR is just one example.  In the next few years, we may see
many other possibilities for better ontology languages -- for the SW
and for many other purposes.  We need standards, but we also need
to support an open-ended diversity.  That's the point of the web page
about interoperable systems:  http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl    (08)

John
_____________________________________________________________________    (09)

http://cs.brown.edu/people/pvh/CPL/Papers/v1/hak.pdf
Data models as constraint systems:  a key to the semantic web    (010)

 From page 39:    (011)

4. Relation between OSF and DL formalisms    (012)

Description Logic (DL) and Order-Sorted Feature (OSF) logic are two
mathematical formalisms that possess proof-theories based on a
constraint formalism. Both are direct descendants of Ron Brachman’s
original ideas (Brachman, 1977). This inheritance goes through my own
early work formalizing Brachman’s ideas (A¨ıt-Kaci, 1984), which in
turn inspired the work of Gert Smolka, who pioneered the use of
constraints both for the DL (Schmidt-Schauß and Smolka, 1991) and
OSF (Smolka, 1988) formalisms. While the DL approach has become the
mainstream of research on the semantic web, the lesser known OSF
formalisms have evolved out of Unification Theory (Schmidt-Schauß
and Siekmann, 1988), and been used in constraint logic programming
and computational linguistics...    (013)

p. 43    (014)

5. Conclusion    (015)

We have shown how constraint logic programming offers an invaluable
abstraction mechanism for “integrating” correctly, seamlessly, and —
to boot! — operationally, rule-based programming (e.g., definite-
clause logic programming) with data description logics. Seen as
a formal constraint system, the data model is thus abstracted from
the rule model...    (016)

Easing rule interoperability is yet another substantial benefit of
the “data as constraint” approach.  Indeed, constraints are the
right level of abstraction for rule interchange because they allow
approximation. Approximation is important for exchange as one may
still wish to exchange rules at some level of abstraction...    (017)

Finally, the most obvious benefit of seeing data description as
constraints is that it simplifies things at both the theoretical
and practical level...    (018)